Ben Bedi is a patent attorney with more than 20 years of experience in various aspects of patent law, including prosecution, patent portfolio design, due diligence and litigation.
Prior to founding ecotechlaw®, Ben was a partner at Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP, Dechert LLP, and K&L Gates LLP.
Ben helps clients create strategies to maximize the valuation of their intellectual property assets. He has a proven track record in building patent portfolios in various technologies, including chemical engineering, chemistry, robotics, food safety, energy efficiency, specialty coatings, clean energy (e.g., solar, wind and hydrodynamic), all aspects of integrated circuit fabrication and testing, software, and networking infrastructure.
Ben has litigated patent infringement cases in district courts and at the International Trade Commission. He has led at trial, in claim construction hearings and at hearings on case-dispositive motions. He has litigated cases that involve technologies such as semiconductors, computer hardware, software and the Internet. Representative matters include the following:
- In a case involving analog chip design technology, on behalf of a small fabless chip designer, Ben led the defense of non-infringement of key patents at issue and argued at trial. He briefed all documents for claim construction, assisted in drafting of expert reports, took expert depositions and developed 102(g) evidence to attack the validity of a patent in suit. The trial court found in favor of his client.
- In a case involving optics hardware and software for detecting and classifying defects, on behalf of a large semiconductor wafer metrology and defect detection company, Ben prepared claim construction briefing and motions for summary judgment for non-infringement, facilitated preparation of expert reports, took depositions of experts and prepared an extensive tutorial for the judge. His client won on summary judgment.
- In a case involving software for digital image processing and machine vision technologies, on behalf of a large semiconductor wafer metrology and defect detection company, Ben prepared claim construction briefing, took the majority of adverse depositions and prepared an extensive tutorial for the judge. Shortly after he argued claim construction (which included presentation of live expert testimony), the case settled in favor of his client.
- In a case involving optics, reflectometry, ellipsometry machine vision and software technologies, on behalf of a large semiconductor wafer metrology and defect detection company, Ben prepared claim construction briefing and motions for summary judgment for invalidity, took and defended depositions, and facilitated preparation of expert reports. He argued claim construction, and on the eve of the hearing on motions for summary judgment, the case settled in favor of his client.
- In a case involving heat sinks in computer desktops, on behalf of a large Taiwanese computer manufacturer, Ben successfully defended plaintiff’s motion for preliminary injunction. Plaintiff dismissed the case against his clients after Ben filed an opposition to plaintiff’s motion for preliminary injunction.
- In a case involving software and chip design technologies, on behalf of a large chip design company, Ben led extensive Rule 11 investigations, participated in key depositions, and briefed and argued key claim construction issues. The case settled in favor of his client.
Strategic Counseling And Portfolio Advice
Ben assists clients with patent valuations, portfolio analysis and licensing advice. He works with clients and valuation experts to provide valuations for various corporate transactions.
Areas of Practice
- Patent Law
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
- J.D. – 1975
- Millikin University
- B.A. – 1964
- Major: Biology and Chemistry
- University of Illinois
- M.S. – 1967
- Major: Zoology
Past Employment Positions
- Oppenheimer Wolff & Donnelly LLP, Partner
- Dechert LLP, Partner
- K&L Gates LLP, Partner